Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:48:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      kama <kama@pvp.se>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE boot freeze when calibrating clock.

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 22/09/2009 11:35 kama said the following:
> > Ok.
> >
> > I added KDB DDB and ACPI_DEBUG to the kernel and it then boots but with
> > this error:
> >
> > ---- snip ----
> > Preloaded elf kernel "/boot/kernel/kernel" at 0xc0ed3000.
> > Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/acpi.ko" at 0xc0ed31d8.
> > link_elf: symbol AcpiDmDumpMethodInfo undefined
> > KLD file acpi.ko - could not finalize loading
> > Calibrating clock(s) ... i8254 clock: 1193120 Hz
> > CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
> > Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> > Calibrating TSC clock ... TSC clock: 2605923359 Hz
> > CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 285 (2605.92-MHz 686-class CPU)
> > ---- snap ----
> >
> > What else can I do to help you to figure this out?
>

> This is a very strange error.
> Did you install a binary distribution or did build your kernel from sources?
> >From your demsg I think that it is the latter.
> And I believe that your source tree may be damaged somehow.
> Please try again with a clean checkout from (- this is important -) a known good
> place, some cvsup mirrors have been known to serve inconsistent sources.

I have now changed from cvsup.dk.freebsd.org to cvsup.freebsd.org with no
luck.

These are the steps I do (and have done for ages):
# cd /usr/src
# make clean cleandir
# cd ..
# rm -rf src/* obj/*
# cd
# csup stable-supfile-7
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster -U -i
# reboot

I see that there are a newer BIOS on the HP homepage for this DL385. I
will try to update the BIOS later this week.

The servers are not up to be in production until early november, so there
are some time to test things.

/Bjorn