Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 15:08:49 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving some mail.

"Jonathan M. Bresler" stands accused of writing in message ID
<Pine.3.89.9510232246.E7857-0100000@kryten.atinc.com>:
>over the last two day and a half days we have AVERAGED 3.31 kBytes of
>mail per SECOND.  outbound ONLY.

What isn't so impressive is those same figures only translate into
1.601 messages/second. Which means that each message has an average
size of 2.07k.

(call me picky, but I'd start cheering at 2-3 mails/second - 1.6
 doesn't sound all that impressive, despite the fact that it probably
 is)

>mind now that the queue is a little backed up with 2000+ messages.
>half of those are due to 2 sites which are having difficulties....grrrrr!

Urk. And I bet one of them is *.demon.co.uk? Apart from changing their
routing setup (and running into problems with the version of gated
they use, causing nasty routing failures over the past few days),
their mail hosts are severly overloaded (MMDF can't cope
anymore). It's annoying for me as I am now regularly getting mail from
machines at cdrom.com, and also (being on the root/postmaster alias)
getting the 4 hour can't send warning also. Sigh

>i thnk we need to got to 64bit counters in the networking code....the
>data is moving so fast that its gone negative.

Part of the problem possibly is that the counters (or most of them
anyhow) are (AFAIR) unsigned, but I seem to remember netstat prints
(some of) them as signed...

Gary