Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:20:34 +0100
From:      Craig Butler <craig001@lerwick.hopto.org>
To:        yuri@rawbw.com
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it easy to netboot sun fire V210 using only sparc64 iso image and intel host?

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 00:52 -0700, Yuri wrote:
> Sun fire V210 server won't boot from cdrom: can't open boot device, and
> hard drives are blank.
> Is it easy/feasible to make netboot installation for it if I don't have
> any other sparc hardware, only intel computer and standard sparc64
> FreeBSD ISO image(s) from freebsd.org?
>
> Yuri

Howdy Yuri

Yes, it should be possible --

First both computers need to be connected to the same subnet (or
crossover cable if 1:1), disable any dhcp server (rarpd conflicts)

//
// tftp setup to transfer kernel and stage2
//
* you need to copy the boot directory from the cd into /tftpboot

* you need to unpack /tftpboot/boot/mfsroot.gz

* edit /tftpboot/boot/loader.conf to look like;
mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"
console="ofw"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"

* edit /etc/initd.conf and uncomment;
tftp    dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tftpd      tftpd -l
-s /tftpboot

//
// rarpd setup to provide sparc box ip addy
//
* add sparc boxes mac and name into /etc/ethers (mac details found via
lom)
0:3:ba:f:d5:ef x1

* add entry into /etc/hosts to match name
10.0.0.21       x1

//
// bootpd setup to respond to sparcs bootp netboot
//
* edit /etc/bootptab;
.default:\
:bf="kernel":dn=local:ds=10.0.0.1:\
:gw=10.0.0.1:ht=ether:hd="/tftpboot/boot/kernel":hn:\
:rp="10.0.0.10:/usr/un/freebsd":\
:sm=255.255.255.0

x1:ht=1:ha=0003ba0fd5ef:tc=.default:ip=10.0.0.21:

* ds=nameserver, gw=gateway, rp=tftpserver:nfsmount(if any), sm=subnet
mask, ha=mac addy

*uncomment bootpd from /etc/inetd.conf
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/bootpd     bootpd

//
// finishing touches
//

*convert the ip address for sparc machine into hex
ie- 10.0.0.21 == 0A000015

*create symlink in tftpboot to match
ln -s boot/loader /tftpboot/0A000015

*start inetd
/etc/rc.d/inetd onestart

*start rarpd
/usr/sbin/rarpd -a -s -v -f &

*power on sparc machine break to OK, boot net

sit back and hopefully watch the installer load up (unless I missed
something :S)

I don't run a netboot full time hence the onestart for inetd and running
rarpd manually.

I also pull down the files via freebsd ftp once in the install, you
could use the nfs server as defined in bootptab, but that involves
dumping the rest of the contents of the cd/dvd onto nfs server.

Guys -- feel free to comment if I missed something, it was a while ago
since I have netbooted a sparc.  The above examples was from a working
box, I may have missed a stage.

Kind Regards

Craig Butler