Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 22:06:06 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .palign 2

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.980706103744.25896I-100000@terra>,
Ron G. Minnich <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM> wrote:
> I tried -questions but no dice. So here I am:
>
> On the latest tree, at some point in the gnu side, I get an error due to
> an op in read.S,
> .palign 2
>
> Any ideas? It appears to be hidden in one of the gnu standard Macros From
> Hell, since read.S itself is just two lines, an include and a macro
> invocation.

This isn't really an answer, but ... I'm aware of a ".p2align"
directive, but I've never heard of ".palign".  ".p2align" aligns to
2**n, where n is the argument.  I added support for it quite some
time ago.  It's handy because it means the same thing for a.out as
for ELF.  Whereas the old ".align n" aligned to a multiple of n for
a.out, but a multiple of 2**n for ELF.