Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:31:29 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@kt-is.co.kr>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: U1E and U2 are supported system?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 07:07:10PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:

 > > 	However, looking at these pages, it's not obvious to me what the
 > > precise hardware differences are between the different sub-models.
 >
 > For all practical purposes (or at least FreeBSD's purposes), U2 and U1E
 > are identical from a SCSI and NIC stand point.  Think of them as a
 > difference between Pentium and 2P Pentum-III. :-)  The U2's CPU's are
 > cartridges and a U2 is a 2P machine.  The U1E's CPU's are directly
 > attached to the mobo (and is "standard" modern looking CPU).  A U1E has
 > the same CPU as the same speed U1.

I have been using U2 as a my main development platform for
sparc64. It works great and has tolerable performance even with
WITNESS kernel options.

It seems that there is two problems on U2.(I know hme(4) issue too.)
1. esp(4) works well but its sync. rate is terribly slow(6.25MHz).
2. I have an annoying problems on ssh connection. From time to time,
   the connection attempt is failed with "key_verify failed for server_host_key".
   Further investigation shows there is an issue in bn library
   of OpenSSL. Builing OpenSSL without any optimization seems to
   fix the issue. But I don't think this is a bug of compiler since the
   same optimized code works well on AXe. Is it possible one code works
   on UltraSparc-IIi processor and the same code doesn't work on
   UltraSparc-II processor?(I vaguely guess UltraSparc-II processor
   has more cache memory(2MB))

Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon
--