Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:12:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
Cc:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Subnets of all 0's/all 1's

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Alec Kloss wrote:

> > Should FreeBSD be able to support a network with a subnet of all zeros or
> > all ones?  If not, could someone give a short technical explanation as to
> > why?

> I did not know that this isn't allowed.  I checked things out and RFC
> certainly does imply that this is a no-no.  In RFC 950, RFC 943 this
> referenced as justification for this.  RFC does not seem to use
> imperitive language (you shall or you must) but something much less
> harsh, as in
> 	"When called for, the address zero is to be interpreted as
> 	meaning "this", as in this network."

Hmmm.... had a URL for a page at 3-com that had a wonderful writeup on
this, and many other IP addressing issues, sort of an "everything you ever
wanted to know and were afraid to ask" document, and it points to this
restriction being because of one of the more primitive dynamic routing
protocols being unable to handle these two cases.

It also says that this restriction was depreciated, but I can't remember
where or when.  I was actually more surprized to find out you're supposed
to have all subnets equal size.  Unfortunately, Cisco's try to enforce
both of these rules (or at least the 2501 we have does).  On the other
hand, our Linux firewall and the FreeBSD machines here (give me time, I
want to convert it all to FreeBSD, but haven't had time to evaluate the
FreeBSD equivilents of masquerading yet) talk to subnets that violate
both rules.

Ah, found it:  http://www.3com.com/nsc/501302.html