Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 23:00:23 +0200
From:      Claudio Eichenberger <ce@wks.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw natd dynamic ip needs to tries to connect

Dear Support:

We connect our Intranet 10.0.0.# via a FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine which makes
ipfw, natd to an ISP by ppp which dynamically attributes us an IP at
every call we make. Everything works fine. There's just this small
problem. e.g.

% telnet an.internet.host	#ppp opens the line

nothing happens, you either stop the telnet and start a new one

% telnet an.internet.host ^C
% telnet an.internet.host	#now it works, the connection will be
established

or, you

% ping www.freebsd.org		#for example, and the telnet gets also
established

the same problem applies to ftp, http, https, smtp and maybe other
protocols.

Have you any idea what the source of this could be ? And in case you
know, how we could get rid of this problem.

Many thanks for your help

:Claudio Eichenberger