Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 20:50:59 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIME applications for FreeBSD

Terry Lambert writes:

> As to what binary data is permitted to be encoded:
>
> 1)	Any binary data the sender and the recipient can agree upon
>

> Though I'd be perfectly happy to see this limited to binary data for
> which public source reference implementations exist (ie: no more Word
> documents unless Microsoft publically documents Word file format, no
> PDF documents unless Adobe documents their "encryption" preventing
> the use of non-Adobe readers, but not preventing any Adobe reader from
> decoding the document, etc., etc.).

Absolutely!  Although figuring out the lowest common denomintor for, e.g.
rich text, often leads to all sorts of oddities.  For example, I just
received a price quote for a Micron PC by E-Mail, in of all things,
UUENCODED RTF format!  As I happily uudecoded it, and imported it into
WordPerfect 6.0 for UNIX on my SPARCstation, I couldn't help but wonder
about the poor PC lusers running Eudora, etc., and trying to figure THAT
out.  Hmm, now that I think of it, Netscape does automagically decode
UUencoded pictures from USENET (hmm, wonder what Netscape programmer was
reading alt.binaries.pictures.erotica when he thought of adding that feature
;), maybe it does the same thing for E-Mail?  Oh well..

Another comment on this dangerously off-topic thread:  There is now
commercial gateway software designed specifically to look at MIME
attachments and convert them into a format friendly to the recipient.  They
even go so far as to add an appropriate resource fork if the recipient is a
Mac user, or add the 3-character extension if the recipient is a PC user.
Wonder what happens if the recipient's using UNIX?  :)

Anyway, I used to get really upset when PC/Mac users at work sent me MS
Office documents as attachments, but now that WABI is fast enough for me, I
just use that.  Now that I have a decent version of WABI at home
(Solaris/x86), it looks like that won't be a problem with my personal
mailbox either, but of course, if somebody sent me a Word document in my
private mailbox, I'd probably delete it as a matter of principle...  :).

-- Jake