Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:30:28 -0400
From:      Robert Hall <rjhjr0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP using ral

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Brent Bloxam<brentb@beanfield.com> wrote:
> Robert Hall wrote:
>>
>> "ifconfig ral0 inet 192.168.1.104 netmask 255.255.255.0" assigns the
>> specified values. Ping no longer tells me that there's no route to the
>> host, but I'm getting about 95% packet loss. "netstat -r" now shows
>> that link1 (ral0) is the gateway to 192.168.1.0. I still don't have a
>> usable connection.
>>

> Not especially helpful but I thought I'd throw this out there, Linksys
> routers by default define their DHCP range as 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149,
> so pick an address outside that space if you're trying to assign statically.

Good point. I tried that, but 192.168.1.104 and 192.168.1.150 work the
same. No difference that I can tell

> You can often get away with setting the IP of the router (default of
> 192.168.1.1 for Linksys) as your DNS, as many Linksys routers have a built
> in DNS proxy.

Ah. That doesn't solve the problem, but it works and it's useful.

> Are you sure you're getting a strong enough signal from the AP?

I think I am. The XP box is reporting a strong signal, and it's on the
self below the FBSD box. Of course, the XP box is also reporting no
Internet connection, and I'm using it to reply to you, so who knows.

The XP box with a Belkin NIC works pretty well. The boxes are very
close, so I'm guessing that signal strength is not an issue.

> Have you had
> success with this WiFi card accessing other APs?

I have no other APs I can try it with. The only other AP within range
is none of my business.

> Do you have access to a
> different WiFi card you could try?

No. This Linksys card was the only PCI card at the local MicroCenter
that was supported by FBSD 7.2. :)

Thanks for your interest in my problem. :)