Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:06:37 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Walnut Creek, Where Are You?

At 03:24 PM 2/17/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>> Could this be due to probing, I wonder? IBM machines tend to have
>> weird hardware that responds badly to probes. It could be that
>> other drivers (which could be deactivated) are mucking up the
>> hardware. This used to happen with OS/2.
>
>No.  You wire the pins from the 82558 to the PCI bus, and that's it.

It's true that with most highly-integrated peripheral controllers
(including the 82558), it's hard to deviate much from the reference
design. But what else is at the port addresses scanned by the various
drivers (not just the fxp driver, but others)? It's possible that
some arcane bit of motherboard hardware is being messed up -- perhaps
by a driver that isn't even finding the peripheral it's looking for.
IBM machines are like that.

>> Heck, if they sent me a machine to play with, I'd do that just for
>> fun.
>
>Would you commit to producing results?  They offer pretty good leasing
>deals, and if you were willing to commit to something, we might be able
>to fund the lease.  The other issue is the IBM ServeRAID controller,
>again for which there is a Linux driver but no FreeBSD driver; this
>would need to be written from scratch.

I'd need to learn what was involved in writing a RAID driver, but
if there's existing code that shows how RAID has been mapped into
the SCSI subsystem I can certainly adapt it.

--Brett