Date:      Wed, 23 May 2007 23:46:41 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Iulian M <eti@erata.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.2 start problem

--Cp3Cp8fzgozWLBWL

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 06:18:12PM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 May 2007 17:51:34 Roland Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 05:29:54PM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
> > > I also haven't read anything and got terrible caught by this 7.2 xorg
> > > thing
> >
> > Says it all, really. :-)
> >
>=20
> you're not laughing at me aren't you?=20

A little. Ignoring /usr/{ports|src}/UPDATING usually has predictable result=
s.
Been there, done that. :-)
=20
> > > and kind of lame that portupgrade xorg does not install the modules,
> >
> > And how is portupgrade to know which specific drivers you need?
> >
>=20
> good question deserve good answers: how the heck portupgrade did it befor=
e?

It didn't. All the drivers were in one huge package, the X server. Now
they are in seperate ports. But the xorg or xorgs-drivers meta-ports
should install all of them.

> > There will always be big ports changes that exceed the capabilities of
> > the automated ports management tools and need manual intervention.
=20
> absolutely, but only partial correct because the tools are perfectly capa=
ble,=20
> the thing is that the process is not really thought through enough when=
=20
> publishing it

That's funny. :-) If you can't be bothered to read UPDATING, you are not
the person to tell the maintainers that they haven't "thought it
through".

Tools like portupgrade and portmaster and even the ports system are
great but they have their limitations. I think they are kept relatively
simple for a reason. It's much better to have a simple (maintainable)
tool that does 95% of the jobs well than to build an extremely
complicated ACME contraption that can cover all the corner cases and
oddball situations. It's just not worth the effort.

Roland
--=20

--Cp3Cp8fzgozWLBWL

--Cp3Cp8fzgozWLBWL--