Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:55:19 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        =?koi8-r?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pine 3.96/4.00 ports -- patches

Hi,

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, [koi8-r] Андрей Чернов wrote:

> >    What does -DTERMCAP_WINS do ? You say "Trust termcap more then built-in
> > defaults" in the CVS log -- please explain me what it does and how can we
> > convince Pine to build it correctly.
>
> You need to fix syntax error somehow, TERMCAP_WINS is essential. Pine have
> homemade set of weak guesses about terminal capabilities; with
> TERMCAP_WINS defined, termcap taken first, then weak gueesses, otherwise
> guesses taken first over termcap making Pine broken.

 OK, I'll see what I can do...

> > XXX   - [ #define BACKGROUND_POST ]
>
> Is it possible to catch errors with BACKGROUND_POST?

 I'm about to try it -- but this shouldn't break anything.

> > XXX   - SENDNEWS -- what is the correct path for 'inews' ?
> >       - part of the (3.96) file was moved to pico/osdep/os-bsf.h
>
> ${PREFIX}/lib/news/inews I think

 Well, I checked news/nn (you should remember, you have been working on
this port :) and the correct path is:
   "/usr/local/news/lib/inews"

 But what does "inews -h" do (I saw this in your Pine3 port) ?

> >   * Pine 3.96: file pine/send.c
> >       - forces ENC8BIT when TYPETEXT body
> >   * Pine 4.00: file pine/send.c
> >       - maintains the patch, just some reformatting
>
> It is essential too, Pine tries to avoid sending Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> text in several places without any reason. Looks like this soft is too
> historic from one side, but from other side it likes evilly converts 8bit
> text to QP or BASE64 (without a command to do so) making it non-readable.

 It's in the patch. Oh yes, this 8Bbit vs. QP war has become a legend
already; strange how it still keeps popping up from time to time...

> >   * Pine 3.96: file pine/pine.h
> >       - from CVS log: "Move TAG_EMBED from valid Russian letter '\377' to
> >         more neutral '\001'" and "Tag quoting not implemented properly
> >         cause '\377' chars skipped"
> >   * Pine 4.00: file should be pine/pine.h
> > XXX   - my opinion: good reason, but I don't like the patch, it's rather
> >         a workaround than a good fix, it conflicts with TAG_INVON; we
> >         should ask the Pine people about this; I will insert the patch
> >         anyway (but probably with a different constant) !
>
> Just move it to another free place outside 040-0377 range for a while.
> I already sent this patch to Pine people but they not seems be interested.

 When ? Could you forward me that message you sent ? I might be more
convincing if I would mention your notice too...

> > patch-aq (in pine3, NOT in pine4)
> > ---------------------------------
> >   * Pine 3.96: files pico/ebind.h & pico/main.h
> >       - disables spelling
> >   * Pine 4.00: files pico/ebind.h & pico/main.h
> > XXX   - I thought we had a spellchecker in FreeBSD, but it seems not; and
> >         you say ispell doesn't work... Anyway, I believe The Right
> >         Way(tm) to do this is to patch pico/osdep/os-bsf.h and undefine
> >         SPELLER ! I'll make the change in the next patch.
>
> ispell works differently, pico assume standard Unix spell.
> Undefining SPELLER is not right thing to do, because it breaks alternative
> speller in Pine mode, as I remember.

 I'll check this in more detail...

> --
> Andrey A. Chernov
> http://www.nagual.pp.ru/~ache/
> MTH/SH/HE S-- W-- N+ PEC>+ D A a++ C G>+ QH+(++) 666+>++ Y

  Thank you !
  Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)