Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 16:08:47 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: further question to bus_alloc_resource

Alexander Langer wrote:

> Thus spake Sergey Babkin (babkin@bellatlantic.net):
>
> > compiled in the kernel (as opposed to being loaded as a module)
> > then it never gets unloaded. And many drivers were written before
> > the loadable modules appeared.
>
> Yes. But what about the others.
> /sys/dev/aha/aha_mca.c for example - it is part of module (aha),
> allocs resources, but never releases them.

Well, I suppose unloading drivers makes much sense only in case
if hardware supports hot-plug. I see the argument of upgrading the
driver version without reboot as purely theoretical. For driver
debugging the need to chnage the driver commonly happens after
the old version somehow wedges the system. And upgrading drivers
on a running production system is not something I personally would
do. This is a dangerous operation and if it would cause any problems
they would better happen at pre-scheduled boot time, not on a running
machines with users.

-SB