Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 15:01:23 -0500
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We cannot use 'make -j' option to build the world, period.

Otter wrote:

> Regarding the -j option, I seem to remember someone telling me that
> option was only for make buildworld/installworld and not the modules
> or anything else. Anyone care to confirm and/or explain why?

A parallel build should work for modules as well. The modules were part
of a make buildworld once. It worked then. The modules have been moved
to be part of make buildkernel. It may be broken now. In that case it
should be fixed. There's no technical reason to disallow parallel
builds. If there are, then a .NOTPARALLEL pseudo target should be added
to the corresponding makefiles to force make to do a sequential build.

Makoto-san mentioned there's a problem with 3dfx. Is this still the case
or has it been resolved?

> I see the
> following in the man page:

It doesn't make sense to quote the manpage for make. It's the makefile
that determines whether or not a parallel make will succeed or not.
Consequently, it's the developer who controls whether a parallel make
should be allowed or not.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org