Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 23:39:33 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Practical limit for number of TCP connections?

"Ronald F. Guilmette" wrote:

> As I say, my understanding is that FreeBSD still doesn't have real and/or
> complete thread support in the kernel.  So if you have a multi-threaded
> application and one thread blocks (e.g. on I/O) then the whole thing is
> blocked.

Ouch! That's just not true.

FreeBSD has userland threads. This is faster than kernel threads, but
has two disadvantages. First, it doesn't make use of SMP. Second, they
all compete together as a single process for CPU time. It seems some
programmers prefer to use threads to increase their process' CPU time
than lowering the process' priority.

OTOH, all releases so far of FreeBSD *do* have incomplete thread
support. Some very important functions were missing, but it seems this
is (mostly?) solved. Also, the way threads dealt with signals and
wakeup's resulted in heavy overhead, but this have been changing, and
it's probably ok now.

Not to dismiss FreeBSD's kernel problems, but that thing about blocking
is absurdly untrue.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
who is as social as a wampas