Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 01:00:58 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        Tamer Ziady <ziady@in-design.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 7k Sound

Darryl Okahata wrote:

> Tamer Ziady <ziady@in-design.com> wrote:
>
> >       I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 and having the following problem:
> >
> >               what should I have in the kernel for sound support?
>
>      The Inspiron 7000/7500 uses the ESS Maestro 2E sound chip, which is
> not supported by FreeBSD (even in -current).  The soundcard developers
> would like to support it, but they apparently have no access to a system
> with the Maestro 2E chip, and so they can't write a driver for it.

I have a laptop (Dell I3.7k) which also uses the ESS Maestro 2E, and
I could try to write a driver for that chip if I could get the
docs... I want to learn how to write a device driver for FreeBSD
(I wrote drivers for AIX some years ago, so I am not a newbie! ;-) ).

I am crossposting to -multimedia for this reason. Is there any
chance to get the ESS Maestro 2E docs? I read somewhere that
the newpcm developers have the docs, but perhaps a NDA has been signed...

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071