Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:18:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <imp@village.org>, <n@nectar.cc>
Subject:   Proposed Solution To Recent "firewall_enable" Thread.  [Please Read]

1st off..
Warner:  Sorry for sending my earlier reply w/o reading the whole thread.
Jacques: Would the proposed change (below) still require approval from the
security officer?

======

In light of all the recent ipfw hubub, I think I have a equitable solution
for all.  Most or all of these have been suggested by others, I am just
trying to put them into one consice proposal.

This thread has really gotten out of control and I think, forked in the
wrong direction.  Instead of changing the functionality of the knob, all we
should need to do is properly document the knob and (almost) everyone
should be happy.

This is the situation as I see it:
1.  We have an option that is not intuitive to all, it's not even
    intuitive to many, even Nate.  :)
2.  Said knob has the potential to seriously degrade system security
    if changed.
2a. System security takes precidence to usability, at least with
    something that can this seriously break a config.
3.  We have unclear documentation about said knob.

I am going to propose the following changes:
1.  We rename the option to something like "firewall_load_rules" or
    "firewall_enable_rules", etc...  Someone else can come up with a
    short yet more concise variable name.
2.  We grandfather in the old option of "firewall_enable" so existing
    rc.conf(5)'s are not broken.
2a. Obviously we are going to have a default in /etc/default/rc.conf
    for this newly renamed knob.  We should, in cases where
    firewall_enable="YES", it should override the new knob.
2b. At some point in the future, with much fanfare and documentation,
    and probably messages to FreeBSD-Security-Advisories we phase out
    the old option completely, so we don't keep a kludge in the system.
3.  Document said change in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and in rc.conf(5).
4.  Explicitly document the effect of both "YES" and "NO" in rc.conf(5).

This should suit the needs of just about every person who has been involved
in this discussion.  Please follow up with comments, esp if I missed
something.

Thanks for you time.

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire