Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:13:32 +0300
From:      "Ivo Vachkov" <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
To:        "cadastrosonline cadastrosonline" <cadastrosonline@yahoo.com.br>
Cc:        fbsd arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VM

On 6/14/07, cadastrosonline cadastrosonline
<cadastrosonline@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> "FreeBSD's memory allocation code implements page coloring optimizations,=
 which means
> that the memory allocation code will attempt to locate free pages that ar=
e contiguous
> from the point of view of the cache. For example, if page 16 of physical =
memory is
> assigned to page 0 of a process's virtual memory and the cache can hold 4=
 pages, the page
> coloring code will not assign page 20 of physical memory to page 1 of a p=
rocess's virtual
> memory."
>
> From fbsd books, I don't understand why it links page 16 of physical memo=
ry to page 0 then talks about page 20 of physcal memory to page 1, ok it wi=
ll say it will sign to page 21 because of the page coloring, but thats not =
what i didnt get.

> If the cache holds 4 pages, why wouldn't the physical page 20 sign to pag=
e 4 or 8 instead? Why 1? lol :> i see its signing the VM as 0,1,2,3,4 and t=
he physical as 4,8,16,20...could anyone explain that?

I think, if virtual memory page 0 maps on physical memory page 16,
then virtual memory page 1 would map to physical memory page 17 and
that's the main idea. Instead, if you map vm page 1 to phys page 20
this will require cache invalidation on access.