Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:39:03 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicrecords.com>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Berkeley removes Advertising Clause

On 3 Sep 99, at 16:30, David Schwartz wrote:

> > > The removal of the advertising clause makes it possible to
> > > relicense BSD code under the GPL.
> >
> > Does it?  Only the copyright holder can change the license, and
> > they can do that whether or not there is an advertising clause.
> > Removal of that clause doesn't allow a third party to change the
> > license, because they don't have that right.
>
> 	Yes it does, because the license gives them that right. Try reading it. :)

I have, and I don't see that.  You can redistribute as long as you
meet certain conditions.  One of those conditions is that the
copyright, conditions, and disclaimer (which constitute the license)
be kept.  Also, by default, the right to determine the license
belongs to the copyright holder, and I don't see anything in the
license that specifically assigns that right to the user.

Hey, I might be wrong (IANAL).  I just don't see what you say is in
there.  But I'm only too happy to be educated.  Please show me
where in the license it gives away the right to change the license.

Dave