Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:30:29 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.x device failure?

It's not impossible to remove a disk object from a running system,
you just have to be very careful about it.  Like I mentioned before,
keep a reference count on your disk, and only call disk_destroy() when
it has gone to 0 (and prevent new opens while you are waiting to
destroy).  This isn't great, of course, since you can't destroy a disk
with active references, but it's not impossible.

Scott