Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 23:20:17 +0200
From:      Walter Oostendorp <walter.oostendorp@home.ict.nl>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fixit and slices/partitions

Hello all,

After upgrading to 3.2 Release I got into trouble and need some advice.
The install from source seemed OK but during a second buildworld it
rebooted and hangs for hours in checking disks, I assume.

I'm not sure because for some reason 3.2 doesn't show much on the
console during the last stage of booting the kernel. No device probes,
or error messages, just rattling disk noise.

I took my fixit floppy and tried to find out what was wrong. But how
can I mount my /usr and /var ? Only the device nodes for the slices
are present on the fixit flop. (/dev/wd0s1) Not the /dev/wd0s1e etc.
as I expected.

Fsck doesn't show any problems, but disklabel shows all zeros for the
[fsize bsize bps/cpg] part. Is this an indication for my problem ?

Any pointers on how to use fixit in such a case are appreciated...

Regards,
Walter