Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:27:10 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Root Dude <root@chain.iafrica.com>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new vm code not working well

On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Chris Stenton wrote:

>Everything is fine with my system until the loading gets to the point
>where it is starting to swap and then it performs appallingly. The
>paging code sounds like its writing out at a byte at a time to the
>disk! If I have three active processes at this time then the system
>starts to thrash:-( The last kernel I compiled was on the 10th of June
>and did not notice any problems with that.

I've noticed this with my machine as well. I've gotten the latest ctm
deltas, and will apply them tonight. My machine has started to perform
*really badly* in the last two weeks. I'm hoping it's just me; it starts
whenever I need to swap to disk, and I've increased my swap from 50 mb to
150 mb, and it has made little difference.

Is there any way to isolate what is causing a machine to perform really
slowly ? I'm reduced to working in terminal mode because X performs so
badly that the machine needs to be rebooted.

>Here is the output from top when the performance is just about to go
>through the floor.

I wish I could include this, but the last thing I am able to get is an
uptime, which has a load average of about 11.

Regards,
Khetan Gajjar.

---
http://www.iafrica.com/~khetan/