Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:26:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i4b vs isdn4linux

From the keyboard of Nicolas Souchu:

> My company has to advice a customer about ISDN. The first choice is
> Linux or *BSD. Since most of this depends on the ISDN support, I have
> to argue my personal feeling... FreeBSD of course!
>
> The customer is a communication provider willing to port a proprietary
> driver from a commercial OS to Linux or FreeBSD.
>
> How would you promote i4b against isdn4linux?

isdn4linux has support for much more hardware and much more B-channel
protocols than isdn4bsd. It has also much more bells and whistles in
other areas together with nice colorful X11 user interfaces.

I have never used isdn4linux and i probably will not in the forseeable
future.

To advise your customer in the best possible way, i'd suggest to find
out what he wants to do and then find out which system (userland, kernel,
design model, isdnsubsystem) fits his needs in an optimal way.

I can't say isdn4bsd is better than isdn4linux but i clearly prefer i4b
over i4l :-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 55 97 47-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 55 97 47-77