Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 1995 17:46:48 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        haseltin@metronet.com (Doug Haseltine)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Those Adaptec folks...

>Greetings:
>
>I had the misfortune to purchase a Pentium 90 with an Adaptec 2940W card
>recently.

>From what I've seen of this controller's performance, its not THAT unfortunate.

>Then I found out that neither Linux nor FreeBSD are supported on this
>particular card yet.  Email

Both FreeBSD and Linux support this card.  More on this later.

>to Adaptec on future plans to support Intel based UNIX resulted in a terse
>message that
>there was no Linux driver for the 2940W yet (I knew that).  If I can aid in
>the encouragement
>of one of your ambitious developers to finish a PCI 2940W SCSI controller
>patch with a
>monetary contribution, please let me know.  If such a driver is already
>finished by the time
>you read this could you please inform the 2940W users where this driver can
>be found.

Who else besides you should I enform? :)  Anyway, you  should try the
950322-SNAP on ftp.cdrom.com (/pub/FreeBSD/950322-SNAP/floppies/boot.flp) and
see if it works for you.  The current driver has seen many revisions since
that floppy was generated.  I plan on releasing an interrum floppy sometime
later tonight with an updated kernel.  It should be availible in the
950322-SNAP/floppies/newer directory when I'm done.

The FreeBSD driver uses an enhanced version of the sequencer code that was
developed by John Aycock in the Linux camp.  My changes are filtering into
the Linux kernel too, but an official release of their new driver is not due
for a week or so.

If your chosen operating system turns out to be FreeBSD (and I hope it does :),
I'm the person you should contact if you experience any troubles getting your
Adaptec card to work.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1