Date:      Sun, 2 May 2010 21:02:07 +0200
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   for those that want to try vdr on FreeBSD...  (dvb with webcamd)

Hi!

 I took jpulz' vdr 1.7.14 patches: (hi, you never seem to be on irc
when I am... :)

	ftp://ftp.frm2.tum.de/pub/jpulz/VDR/
	ftp://ftp.frm2.tum.de/pub/jpulz/pictures/

and made q&d ports of those and of a few more plugins and two webinterfaces
so I can now use FreeBSD as a pc dvb-s2 dvr:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/vdrdevel-preliminary.shar

 I don't know if/when I'll be able finish these to make them commit-ready
(or even port all of the other plugins that people might want to use),
if anyone wants to take over from here or at least help they are most
welcome...

 Note: vdr 1.7.14 is the development branch so expect bugs!  (I mostly
used it because the stable branch (1.6) doesn't support dvb-s2...)

 FreeBSD notes:

0. See my earlier threads on the freebsd-multimedia list about webcamd
   and the usb dvb-s2 tuner I use; the relevant webcamd ports and
   frieds have been updated now so you _should_ be able to just use
   those.  (I see no reason why dvb-t or dvb-c tuners wouldn't work
   also as long as webcamd supports them, I just haven't tested any.)

1. Before you start installing these ports add the vdr user and group
   to /usr/ports/UIDs:

	vdr:*:988:988::0:0:vdr user:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

   and to /usr/ports/GIDs:

	vdr:*:988:

   (you don't have to use 988, I just didn't want the id to conflict with
   new ports being committed too quickly...), and then either mount an extra
   fs with enough space for the recordings on /video or create a video dir
   elsewhere where there is space, symlink it to /video and make it
   writable for vdr.  (or if you do have one big / then you can create
   the dir on there too ofc, I just disabled the mkdir in the port to
   avoid inadvertently filling up ppl's small / fs.)

2. I didn't make rc.d scripts yet so for now you need to start vdr as
   well as the vdradmin-am webinterface manually, look in the README.s
   of the individual (plugins, vdradmin-am) ports for any needed options.
   My current vdr startup line is:

	vdr -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=127.1:37890" -Pskinenigmang -Pfemon -Posdpip '-Posdteletext --directory=/usr/tmp --cache-system=packed --max-cache=128' -P"streamdev-server" -P"live -i127.1" -Pepgsearch -Pcontrol

   Oh and I skipped install of a lot of locales for now too...

3. Of all the video output methods only xineliboutput and streamdev
   seem to work (and the vdr-live webinterface browser streaming which
   also uses streamdev), jpulz also has patches for softdevice so I made
   a port for that too but it only gave me a black screen...  streamdev
   doesn't have an osd so you probably want xineliboutput at least for
   the first setup.

   I was unable to test xineliboutput's vdpau support since I no longer
   have nvidia (and miwi's issues with the nvidia blob on amd64 don't
   exactly encourage me to try it again soon...) - on the radeon here
   using xorg 7.4's video-ati driver with xv xineliboutput via vdr-sxfe,

	vdr-sxfe --video=xv --hotkeys xvdr://127.0.0.1:37890

   (vdr-sxfe gets installed by the xineliboutput plugin port) as well as any
   other player that knew the xvdr protocol (xineliboutput with osd) were
   unable to play h264 hd channels (I suspect they use too much cpu; I tried
   xine and both the kde3 and kde4 versions of kaffeine,

	xine "xvdr://127.0.0.1#nocache"
	kaffeine "xvdr+tcp://127.1:37890"
	/usr/local/kde4/bin/kaffeine "xvdr+tcp://127.1:37890"

   ), only mplayer and (sometimes) totem/gstreamer (incluing the totem
   browser plugin invoked by the vdr-live webinterface) apparently were
   efficient enough to decode h264 on this PhenomII cpu in software:

	mplayer -mc 10 -cache 8192 -demuxer lavf http://127.0.0.1:37890/
	totem http://127.0.0.1:37890/

   (or using streamdev:

	mplayer -mc 10 -cache 8192 -demuxer lavf http://127.0.0.1:3000/302
	totem http://127.0.0.1:3000/302

   - channel 302 is arte hd in my channels.conf.)

4. I have no idea if the lirc support works on FreeBSD (and webcamd doesn't
   seem to support dvb tuner remotes yet anyway), so you probably will
   have to use keyboard control for now.  I have included an example
   remote.conf for vdr-sxfe and the multimedia/vdr-plugin-control plugin
   that you can access by telnet (default port is 2002), I have put the
   menu button on the tab and insert keys and OK on the return key, see

	/usr/local/etc/vdr/remote.conf

   for the full keybindings list.  (If you start vdr in the foreground
   and keep that shell open you should be able to use that for keyboard
   control also, the control plugin just gives me an osd too for when I
   use mplayer...)

   Oh and the webinterfaces have point-and-click remotes too but I prefer
   keyboard control.

5. The example channels.conf is the one that comes with the vdr sources,
   its for Astra 19.2E and a little outdated (also doesn't have hd channels
   yet), if you receive something else and don't want to go hunting for a
   suitable channels.conf on the web you can use w_scan for which I put a
   port here earlier:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/w_scan.shar

   Remember to use -o7 for vdr 1.7, see the w_scan homepage for options
   and examples:

	http://wirbel.htpc-forum.de/w_scan/index_en.html

   Also note you probably will only need to use w_scan once initially,
   this vdr version by default should look for new transponders itself
   when it does its epg scan during idle times unles you disable that
   feature.

5. I ported two webinterfaces because I only learned about vdr-live
   later which seems to be faster and uses fewer resources meaning you
   could probably turn a pretty wimpy box into a vdr server as long as
   you keep the actual watching (especially of h264 hd) to a faster box
   connected over the network.  The vdr-plugin-live webinterface by
   default listens on port 8008:

	http://127.1:8008/

   and vdradmin_am listens on 8001:

	http://127.1:8001/

   And the streamdev plugin has a (simple) webinterface too if you point
   a browser at it: (instead of a player)

	http://127.1:3000/

6. I may have forgot some other manual installation steps, if you
   notice something just post a followup...  Most of vdr's own
   configuration including plugins should be available in the osd
   under `Setup'.

 And finally, here are some links about vdr and the plugins and
webinterfaces I made ports for:

0. vdr 1.7.14:
	http://www.tvdr.de/
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Main_Page

1. xineliboutput-1.0.5 cvs snapshot from 20100414:
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/xineliboutput/
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Xineliboutput-plugin

2. streamdev-0.5.0 cvs snapshot from 20100426:
	http://streamdev.vdr-developer.org/
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Streamdev-plugin

3. live-0.2.0:
	http://live.vdr-developer.org/

4. live also depends on cxxtools and tntnet which I also had to port:
	http://www.tntnet.org/cxxtools.html
	http://www.tntnet.org/index.html

5. epgsearch-0.9.25.beta16:
	http://winni.vdr-developer.org/epgsearch/index_eng.html
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Epgsearch-plugin

6. femon-1.7.7:
	http://www.saunalahti.fi/~rahrenbe/vdr/femon/
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Femon-plugin

7. osdpip-0.1.0:
	http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/show/plg-osdpip
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Osdpip-plugin

8. osdteletext-0.8.3:
	http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/show/plg-osdteletext
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Osdteletext-plugin

9. skinenigmang-0.1.1:
	http://andreas.vdr-developer.org/enigmang/index.html
	http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Skinenigmang-plugin
	(sorry for de in the second link but at least there are pics...)

10. softdevice 0.5.0 cvs snapshot from 20100414:
	http://softdevice.berlios.de/
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Softdevice-plugin

10. control-0.0.2a-45yavdr1 with ubuntu yavdr patches:
	http://ricomp.de/vdr/down_en.html
	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Control-plugin

11. vdradmin_am-3.6.7:
	http://andreas.vdr-developer.org/vdradmin-am/