Date:      Mon, 12 May 2003 09:37:21 -0600
From:      "Chris J. Stearns" <cstearns@youvegotfiles.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with packet size over a bridge

 > Hello, I very new to FreeBSD, and I've tried and tried to search for the
 > answer to my problem, but can't seem to find it.
 >
 > We recently bought FreeBSD 5.0 to setup a computer to do bridging and
 > dummynet.  I finally got the computer setup with bridging...and used all
of
 > the "standard" setup that Luigi Rizzo have put in his documentation for
 > dummynet.
 >
 > The problem I'm having is that I can not ping to computers over the
bridge
 > with packets larger than 256.  Like I said, I've looked pretty hard to
try
 > and find any thing that will adjust the default bridging packet size.
 >
 > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 >
 > Thanks in advance.
 >
 > Chris J. Stearns
 > Niwot Networks, Inc.
 > Longmont, CO

Well, I figured-out my problem...it was a bad ethernet card.  I recently
bought 2 D-Link DFE-530TX+ (listed in the supported section), I already have
an ethernet card that worked in the computer I am using for FreeBSD 5.0, so
I just opened up one of the D-Link cards to use.  The initial tests were
just to give it an address and ping it.  Well, standard ping packet size for
windows is 32, and 64 for Linux and FreeBSD (and I assume most other most if
not all UNIX type platforms).  Well the card seemed to work fine for this
test.  So I setup the 2 ether cards on the FreeBSD computer for bridge mode
so we could use DummyNet.  Again, I could ping through the bridge to another
computer.  But when it can down to transferring data/accessing other
computers it wouldn't work...made me feel that I didn't setup the bridge
correctly.

Chris J. Stearns
Niwot Networks, Inc.
Longmont, CO