Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:35:32 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with wifi

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:41:29 +0100
Ondra Holecek <bln@deprese.net> wrote:

> yes, i can load if_ath, wireless card is found and i can set it up as
> ath0, but i still have no signal (and there are many ap's - i can see
> with different pcmcia card)

This probably has everything to do with something missing in your
wireless setup on that machine, and nothing else.

> therefore, i think i have to somehow turn it on (the special
> "wireless"  key on keyboard of course doesn't work)

FWIW, I have a ThinkPad T41 which has a ath wireless *and* a
button to turn on / off the wireless. I have never had to use the button
in FreeBSD (the machine dual boots windows, and in windows I use this
button).

What happens if you press the key to turn the wireless on / off? Do you
get a signal then? If not I suggest you look elesewhere for your
problem.

On my ThinkPad, this is what I had to set up: (Note: I use DHCP and WPA
/ TKIP encryption. If you use static ip and / or other encryption your
setup will look different)
In /boot/loader.conf:
if_ath_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"

In /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_ath0="WPA DHCP"

and my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (sensitive items have been changed, of
course):
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={