Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 13:08:44 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC errors. Bad disk or bad firmware, or bug in driver ?

>It smells like bogus firmware, but it's kinda hard to say.  You might check
>to see whether there is new firmware available for that disk.  Quantum has
>firmware and firmware loaders on their ftp site.
>
>You would probably do a lot better if you went to 3.x/CAM.  The new CAM
>SCSI subsystem can generally handle unruly drives much better than the
>old SCSI subsystem.  (In fact, we used Quantum Atlas II's with bogus
>firmware to test some of the error recovery code.)

Thanks for having a look.  I do plan to upgrade the box to 3.x/CAM.
However, its a big busy box with a lot of users and services, so it will
take us a bit.  We are also looking at a Legacy external RAID box to deploy
with this new server. Hmmm... While on the topic, what would you reccomend
as an external RAID box ?  The Legacy is about $5-6K USD which I guess is
reasonable with 4 8gig drives. If anyone knows SCSI, I guess it would be
you and Justin ;-)

Thanks again,

	---Mike