Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 10:12:00 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        nm <nm@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi cable problems?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 08:16:32PM -0400, nm wrote:
> I just bought an 18GB uw scsi disk (hitachi).
> It has an SCA->68pin adapter on it... During boot
> up, the system hangs with these messages displayed:
>
> Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> de0: enabling 10baseT port
> ahc0:A:5: no active SCB for reconnecting target - issuing BUS DEVICE RESET
> SAVED_TCL == 0x50, ARG_1 == 0xff, SEQ_FLAGS == 0x0
>
> What do you think this means?  Bad termination?
> Bad cable?  The cable and disk are brand new...

This sound more like a firmware problem on the drive.
It means that the drive comes back to say "I've completed you requested comand"
and the OS says "I don't know of a request"
Mostly it is because the firmware is buggy in handling TQC and processes
comands twice.
Can you send the complete dmesg part of the drive and controller?

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de