Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:20:29 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        morel@acadia.net
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for testing of PicoBSD under RELENG_4.

> Sounds like pretty much what I did except to modify
> ..dial/floppy.tree/etc/mfs.rc to unpack the gzipped etc files. Look at
> ../picobsd/floppy.tree/etc/mfs.rc for an example. I also got bridge and
> net to work, but bridge is missing it's floppy.tree directory, so I
> copied the one from net and modified the mfc.rc file. I really had to
> chop a lot of fat to get it on a floppy, but it seems to work well..so
> far.

I didn't try it, just built it. Further exploration indicates (it's
i586_CPU, btw) that DIAL's only over the 1600K MFS limit by 12K. 1612K
DOES compile.

This config will work for me, because I have a 32M flashdisk module to
boot from and 32M of DRAM... acres and acres to fill... ;-)

Still, though, the question remains: what's the best way to make it
build ootb for 4.2-R for floppies?

1) increase the default MFS footprint?

2) find more fat to trim?

Joe, let us know if you make further changes. I need to spend time
learning how to use pico, as this is my first experience with it, but
I'll be available for quick-turn testing every day except Thursday. Now
that I've CVSup'd to 4.2-S, it won't take _quite_ so long to get up to
par to test. :-)
--
Donald Wilde                        "Linking Minds and Micros"