Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2014 20:11:51 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mixing ports and pkgng

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 11:07:25 -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > if I change the options for package A, but leave its dependencies B and C
> > alone, is there any ports management program that will automatically
> > recognize this and use pkgng for B and C, but compile A from source?
> >

> I'd just install package A, which installs dependencies, then make the port
> with the appropriate options, make package, then force the install.
>
> Crude but almost always effective.

Alternative, probably even more crude:

1) install A via pkg and let it install B and C as depedencies
2) go to /usr/ports/bla/A, run "make configure" and set your
   options
3) run "make deinstall; make reinstall"

Or probably worse (which I did):

1) go to /usr/ports/bla/A, run "make configure" and set your
   options
2) run "make missing", reformat output and pipe it to pkg so
   those get installed (here: B and C will be on the list)
3) run "make install"

In case the changed options would require a rebuild of B or C,
which _can_ happen, they will be rebuilt as it is needed, but
only in _that_ case.

And finally: Prepare for problems when trying to use pkg's
binary upgrading mechanism. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany