Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:11:05 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help!  "Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction trap" while installing

Here's my situation:

I wanted to cobble together a cheap system out of some components that
I had scavenged from an older system, plus some new components.

Fry's was having a special on the following pair of components:

	AMD K6-III 333
	FIC VA-503+ motherboard

So I purchased those, dropped them into an old case I had, added an old
Adaptec 1542CP SCSI controller (ancient, but well-supported and reliable),
a floppy disk, an ancient Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM drive, a couple of crusty old
SCSI hard drives, some old 72-pin simms, and a nice new dirt cheap 10/100
generic ethernet card that I know works OK on other 4.1 systems I have.
(It gets recognized by FreeBSD as an `rl0' thingy.)

Then I fired the system up.

Data point:  The system seemed to work OK under MS-DOS 5.0 and I low-level
and high-level formatted both SCSI drives.  No problem.  (I just provide
this information for the sake of completness in describing my problem.
Please DO NOT jump on me and tell me that I am denigrating FreeBSD.  That
is not my intent at all.  I just want to proved as much data as possible
to anyone and everyone who might help me to solcve this problem.)

Anyway, then I tried to install FreeBSD 4.1.1.  Now I have a problem.  Con-
sistantly, every time it tried to boot the kernel (the first time, during
the install) it gets down to the point where it is trying to initialize
the keyboard driver, and then it chokes, big time.  Here's what I see on
the console screen every time:

isa0: blah blah blah
atapci: blah blah blah
pcib2: blah blah blah
fdc0: blah blah blah
fdc0: blah blah blah
fd0: blah blah blah
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0

Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction fault while in vm86 mode
instruction pointer	= 0xcc00:0x30d3
stack pointer		= 0x0:0xff8
frame pointer		= 0x0:0x0
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0x0, type 0x0
			= DPL 0, pres 0, def32 0, gran 0
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, vm86, IOPL = 0
current process		= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
trap number		= 1
panic: privledged instruction fault
Uptime: 0s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

... and then it sits there and waits for 15 seconds and then reboots.

NOTE:  There has been some suggestion elsewhere that the AMD K2-III processor
is in some ways not compatible with either the FIC VA-503+ board or (perhaps)
its BIOS (depending upon the REV number).  NOTE HOWEVER that I also own an
AMD K6-2/300 processor and so naturally, I tried that also.  I swapped the
K6-III/333 for my K6-II/300 and I still get _exactly_ the same failure at
exactly the same place in the boot process with EITHER the K6-III or the
K6-II installed.

NOTE:  Ssupecting a possible memory problem (even though I had run Memtest-86
on this memory overnight, with no errors), I yanked out ALL of the old
72-pin SIMMS and installed instead one fresh new 168-pin 64MB SDRAM DIMM,
which is known good and pulled from a working system.  (The FIC VA-503+
board is unusual in that it has slots for both 72-pin memory and 168-pin
memory.)  Anyway, even with totally different memory I still get the exact
same failure at the exact same point in the install/boot process.

NOTE:  I even tried using a different keyboard.  Still no go.  I still got
exactly the same failure (as shown above) at the exact same place in the
install/boot process.

I am at my wit's end now with this problem, and I don't know what else I can
try swapping out.  I've already swapped all of the usual suspects and none
of that has helped.  I've briefly scanned DejaNews looking for any signs of
major incompatabilities between FreeBSD and K6-III's or between FreeBSD and
FIC VA-503+ motherboards and I don't see anything major, but that doesn't
mean that there isn't some problem that hasn't been reported (of course).

I could speculate about what may be causing this problem, but I think I'm
better off not showing my ignorance, and leaving the speculation to the
experts instead.

Experts?  What say you?  Is this a lost cause?  I was really hoping to put
FreeBSD on this system.  But I can't even get past first base during the
install process.

P.S.  For whatever it's worth, the BIOS rev on the board seems to be:

	Award rev:	4.60PGA
	FIC rev:	JE439