Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 17:03:41 -0600
From:      "Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

 Matthias Buelow wrote:
> "Damon M. Conway" <damon@chiba.3jane.net> wrote:
>
> >give it time.  someday, someone will see that forcing unix onto the desktop
> >is pointless for 99% of the people out there, and come up with something els
> e.
> >beos has the right idea tho.  take the unix kernel, strip all the user
> >interfaces out of it, and write your own from scratch.  now you have a syste
>
> BeOS isn't Unix based.

really?  well, it's very unix like when you get to the cli.  you have the
korn shell, gcc, a unix-like fs structure, etc.  so it may not be a unix
kernel (i thought i'd read/heard somewhere that it was), but it feels like
unix when you look under the gui.

> We will see however, what comes out of
> MacOS/X (aka "Darwin"), which is BSD based and features the Macintosh
> user interface (read: Finder) on top of the base system (it's a
> complete Unix with real userland, though).  I haven't seen it yet
> but read some of the discussion on NetBSD mailing lists and I'm
> quite curious how well they managed to hide Unix below an easy-to-use
> layer that appeals to unknowledgable users.  We'll see when Apple
> starts shipping with MacOS X instead of the horrible abomination
> that is today's MacOS.

hmm...i wonder if apple still has what it takes.  we shall see.

damon

--
Damon Conway
Black Rock City Ranger...Riding the edge of chaos