Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:40:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Woody Carey <wcarey@wcarey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP "host based" printers (PPA) and FreeBSD ?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Woody Carey wrote:

> Being the recent owner of an HP DeskJet 710C, and trying to
> get FreeBSD 3.2-R printing to it, I started hunting around
> on the web for PCL resources so I could cat a pcl file to it
> and test my parallel port connection to the printer.  Link 'a'
> took me to link 'b' took me to
> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd06898.html

Not gonna happen.  Those PPA printers are hunks of junk.  I tried to
for quite a while to even simply share a 710C over the network while
still printing to it with the Windows drivers, and no luck.  I now use
an 830C over USB (works great, Nick and all the other USB people!) at
work, and it works just fine.  My 870Cse here at home has always
worked fine.

> which states:
>
> "Note: Host based printers such as the HP DeskJet 710, 720C,
> 820C and 1000C series will not function in the Linux environment
> because they depend on the Microsoft Windows operating system."
>
> Now, I know the FreeBSD != Linux, please don't go there.

In this case, they're equal.

> Is this printer some stupid "WinPrinter" that is useless to me
> from FreeBSD?  Am I completely hosed?  Any clues greatly appreciated,
> I don't know enough about what "PPA" is to figure out how crippled
> this printer is...

It is definately a "WinPrinter".  There might be some light at the end
of the tunnel, though.  I recall hearing about some poor soul
attempting to write drivers for Ghostscript for these "things".

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )