Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:27:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dayton Clark <dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Goliath and 2.2.2

Folks,

I'm sending this to questions and smp because I suspect that the smp
folks may be in a better position to answer the question.  To those
who get the message twice, I apologize.

My system:

			    Vendor: SAG
		       Motherboard: AMI Goliath
			Processors: 4 PPro 200
			     Video: Number9 Image 128 2e
			      SCSI: Adaptec 2940
			       RAM: 128M

Solaris and WindowsNT run fine on this machine, in multi-processor
mode.  FreeBSD 2.2.1 ran OK except for X Windows which made the
machine hang.  I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.2 and I get many many
mysterious bus errors and segmentation faults.  The system as a whole
survives, but many programs dump core.

Anyone know what's happening?

Cache inconsistency seems like a likely culprit.  I disabled the L1
cache from the setup, and got the same result (but much slower 8-).

I hope to try the SMP FreeBSD.  Perhaps I should jump to some variant
of Fbsd 3 and see if the problem disappears.  Which variant would you
suggest?  Any other suggestions?

thanks
dayton

 Dayton Clark
 CIS Department                 dayton@brooklyn.cuny.edu
 Brooklyn College/CUNY          1-718-951-4811
 Brooklyn, New York  11210      1-718-951-4842 (fax)