Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:23:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk, toniel@flash.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd-hackers-digest V4 #75

> > Oh wait, that's not why destination filtering is a *good* idea, that's
> > why it's a *stupid* idea...
>
> Stupid for your situation, Terry, not for mine. Blocking all hotmail is
> not fine for us, because some of our customers are using hotmail.

Not that Hotmail is relevent, but...

Just FYI, Hotmail is a harvester.  If you send mail to a Hotmail
user from a non-Hotmail user, or if a Hotmail user sends you mail,
your address gets "harvested" and put onto a for-sale "SPAM me"
list.

Juno does the same thing, as do three of the four "unsubscribe me"
``services'' referenced from the Ziff-Davis page.

I intentionally bought (and burned) a domain testing this out.  From
different accounts, I sent mail to or sent mail from the various
"free" mail accounts, or "unsubscribed" using one of the "services"
for unsubscribing.

I also sent "unsubscribe" messages from other accounts to the various
"send an 'unsubscribe' to this account to get off our list" addresses
from various SPAM.

Each account was seperate, and no address had appeared anywhere at
any time, except through those venues.

Out of 70 accounts, all but 6 received SPAM.

So you would do well to block mail both *from* and *to* such addresses.

> So we're to punish everyone that uses an email address who's domain
> has ever been forged?

All forgeries are detectable.  All of them.  Period.  The "Received:"
timestamp/"From:" line ordering give them away.

The only place where this isn't so is a SPAM'mer-friendly ISP, which
does not verify IP addresses in the timestamp.

And yes, such ISP's whould be blocked until they can play by the
RFC822/RFC821 header rules.

> We don't have metered usage, and aren't near capacity either, so
> it's not a serious cost.

Well, feel free to burn CPU cycles, disk, and bandwidth dealing with
the problem on your end of things.

> For the record, I still go through every spam we receive and contact
> the ISP of the injection point if it's apparent,

I do the same.  It's always apparent, because I go through the same
"probe" process as the SPAM'mer, with a purpose-built SMTP/DNS client.

> and notify anyone that looks like they got used as an unwitting relay,

I go further.  I offer to help the site disable relaying.  I have
disabled 28 relays, so far.  If I get more relayed SPAM, I will
disable those as well,  The biggest current offenders are Netcom,
MCI, and UU.NET, which apparently resell accounts to the same people,
even after AUP violations.

These people aren't interested in anti-relay, for the most part, and
generally SPAM's through them are via "burnable" accounts.

In this case, I make it a point to ensure that the accounts get burned.

Not surprisingly, the major SPAM "Providers", when notified of what
I do, tend to remove me from their distributed lists.  It is simply
not cost effective to burn a relay in order to send me, personally,
a SPAM for a product which I will never buy.  It's simple business
sense to *not* SPAM me.

> and my time is probably a much more significant cost than the
> bandwith of 3% of our email, which even that is a drop in the
> bucket compared to how much surfing gets done during lunch
> around here.

I recommend RBL.  If you automate the task, it will take much less
than 3% of your time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---