Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:59:54 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        marcel@xcllnt.net
Subject:   Re: COMPAT_43 tty processing ?

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 04:27 pm, David Schultz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > Do we need the COMPAT_43 tty processing in 5-STABLE ?
>
> FWIW, I used to run with COMPAT_43 disabled entirely.  I think the
> only breakage I noticed was that the Linuxolator didn't work
> anymore because of a number of `#ifdef COMPAT_43's in the socket
> code that linux.ko depends on.

These should probably be broken out as COMPAT_OLDSOCK, whih is implied
by the linuxulator or COMPAT_43 or the like.

BTW2: around 10 years ago, I wrote a BSD tty -> SVR4 termios userland
translator that worked well enough as a set of helper functions for
most source compatability.  If we try and keep source compatability
alive for old stuff, I suspect that is the better way to do it.

It did things like #define ioctl(a,b,c) ttcompat_ioctl(a,b.c)  which
translated things internally and did real termios calls etc.

These days we could probably just kill it entirely and replace it with a
short recipe for converting code.    eg: list what the new names for
the flags and modes are.  Most programs do little more than either run
in the default line processing mode, or drop into raw mode via
cfmakeraw() and friends, possibly with a couple of tweaks to the
generated termios settings.

No, I'm not volunteering to extract this code of a QIC 6150 tape that I
have with it on. I'd sooner help delete it from src/sys than revive
that monster. :-)