Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:40:33 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>, J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 07:16:03PM +0800, Dean Hollister wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> At 00:58 20/03/00 -0700, Chris Fedde wrote:
>
> >Hum...  I'm a bit underwhelmed here.  I've been having a heck of a time
> >finding this message.
>
> [snip]
>
> I eventually found what I needed, by going into /usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> At the very end of this file, you will find the following under "COMMON
> ITEMS:"
>
> COMMON ITEMS:
>
>         To build a kernel
>         -----------------
>         Update config, genassym and go:
>                 cd src/usr.bin/genassym
>                 make depend all install clean
>                 cd ../../usr.sbin/config
>                 make depend all install clean

I'd recommend (from personal experience) that you omit ``clean'' from
the above or you'll get failures building the kernel and doing make
installworld.

It's not just me either. there were some proposed changes to UPDATING
posted on -stable a short while ago which included this, but it's not
been committed yet.

>                 cd ../../sys/i386/conf
>                 config YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>                 cd ../../compile/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>                 make depend && make
>                 make install
>
>         To rebuild disk /dev entries
>         ----------------------------
>
>         MAKEDEV should be copied from src/etc/MAKEDEV to /dev before
>         starting the following:
>
>                 For N in the list of disks
>                         MAKEDEV N                       # eg ad0
>                         for M in the list of slices
>                                 MAKEDEV NsMa            # eg ad0s1a
>

>         To rebuild everything
>         ---------------------
>         make world
>
>         Except when it doesn't work.
>
>         To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
>         --------------------------------
>         cd /usr/src
>         make buildworld
>         cd sbin/mknod
>         make install
>         <follow directions to build/install a kernel>
>         <follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>        [*]
>         reboot
>         <in single user>
>         cd /usr/src
>         make -DNOINFO installworld
>         make installworld
>
>         [*] You may need to switch from wd to ad ala 19991210
>
> Apologies if posting this here offends, however, I think this will answer
> your question. It has certainly given me something to work with. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> d.

Seminars, n.:
       From "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.