Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 21:06:31 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers), freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable Users), FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

>This kind of work is necessary for -stable to exist, and apparently at
>least Jordan and David are completely unwillingly to do this.  Do any of
>the developers (and Peter the CVS-meister) have anything to say?

   I've obviously been willing since I've been doing this for over a year now.
The problem is that I have no time to work on new development myself. New
development is the "fun" part of FreeBSD. I haven't had any FreeBSD "fun" for
more than a year now, and I'm quickly approaching the burnout point (actually,
I've already burnt out; I'm currently forcing myself to continue in this role
only because I feel obligated to get the release out).
   This is a difficult problem for me. I've intentionally placed myself in-
between the release tree (which is currently -stable) and -current in an
attempt to improve the quality of FreeBSD releases. If I decide not to do this
any longer, then I'm affraid that the quality of the released code will go
into the toilet. We need a new model. One that keeps the quality high and one
that doesn't prevent me from doing new development.

-DG

David Greenman