Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:48:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com (John Reynolds~)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 Install trouble -- can't see SCSI CD-ROM

John Reynolds~ wrote...

> Hello gurus,
>
> Sorry for the cross-post mail but I figured that since it's probably scsi
> related and it's definitely install related I was justified ;-)
>
> I've been running FreeBSD since 2.0.5 with no hitches on my trusty ol'
> 486. I recently built up a Pentium II box and am having a bugaboo time
> getting FreeBSD 3.1 to install on it.
>
> Symptom:
> -------
>
> When I boot from the 3.1 floppies it goes to sysinstall and when I get to
> the "choose media" screen and pick "CD-ROM" it comes back and says that it
> can't detect any CD-ROM devices (paraphrase).
>
> Observations:
> -------------
>
> I have already installed NT 4.0 on the machine (for the wife and other
> "critical" software that I just can't get under FreeBSD) and it seems to find
> all scsi devices just fine. I've done some crude "stress tests" by "xcopying"
> an entire CD to the hard drive. It didn't miss a beat. I don't think I've got
> SCSI termination problems. When the machine boots the BIOS it lists all
> devices, etc.
>
> Machine Hardware:
> -----------------
>
>  Asus P2B-DS motherboard, BIOS rev 1008, 128Mb RAM
>  Adaptec 7890 + AIC3860 Ultra2 chipset.
>  Toshiba XM-6401B 40x CD-ROM, scsi id 3, 50 pin, terminated
>  Yamaha CRW4416S CD-R/CD-RW, scsi id 4, 50 pin, non-terminated
>  Quantum Viking II LVD drive, scsi id 5, hdd0, LVD
>  Quantum Viking II LVD drive, scsi id 6, hdd1, LVD
>
> I don't recall the exact stepping or rev of the adaptec chipset. I have NO
> IDE devices other than the floppy drive.
>
> Other Findings:
> ---------------
>
> I can boot the FreeBSD 3.0 floppy and it finds the CD-ROM(s) and all disks.
> I can boot from the FreeBSD 3.0 CD-ROM #2 and again all scsi stuff is found.
> When I boot from the FreeBSD 3.1 floppies da0 and da1 *are* found and I have
> been able to label/partition/newfs them.
>
> I've tried using Alt-F1 to switch over to the "debug tty" to see the rest of
> the probe messages (they buzz away to quickly when the sysinstall screen
> comes up and I can see them--is there a way to capture this on floppy so I
> could mail it to these lists???) but really no avail.
>
> So, what to do? Is there some sort of mechanism I can perform during this
> boot where I can get more information for somebody "in the know?" Is this
> a "known problem?" If so, I couldn't find it in the TROUBLE.TXT or any other
> place (tried searching the archives but nothing good was found). Any help
> would GREATLY be appreciated. I REALLY want to get 3.1 on this machine.

Well, there have been problems with machines with 7890s hanging on boot.
Justin commited a work-around for the problem on March 22nd/23rd.

It might be a good idea to try out one of the snapshots from March 24th or
later here:

ftp://releng3.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386

Either a -current or -stable snapshot will work, although, you'll probably
want a stable snapshot.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry