Date:      Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:21:45 +0100
From:      martinko <martinkov@pobox.sk>
To:        Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java Virtual Machine

Micah wrote:

> martinko wrote:
>
>> Micah wrote:

>>> Both the native jdk14 and jdk15 provide good Java VMs.  jdk15 is
>>> newer and might be unstable (hasn't been for me).  jdk14 is more
>>> tested and is the "default" java for FreeBSD on i386.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Micah
>>

>> can you have both versions installed ?
>> and how do you choose which one of them to use (for instance in
>> mozilla) ?
>>
>> m.
>

> Yes, you can have both installed at the same time.
> /usr/ports/java/javavmwrapper makes switching JVMs easy using
> environment variables, however it doesn't seem to support switching
> browser plugins.  For that you'd probably have to switch the symlink
> in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins and restart the browser.
>
> HTH,
> Micah

hello,

i've just tried it and realised it had already been installed as a jdk*
dependency. :)

however, according to the man page, running the following should select
the most native and up-to-date version of java:

$ java -version
java version "1.4.2-p8"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.4.2-p8-root_21_jan_2006_21_32)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-p8-root_21_jan_2006_21_32, mixed
mode)

however, i've got newer version installed too:

$ cat /usr/local/etc/javavms
/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java # FREEBSD-JDK1.5.0
/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/bin/java # FREEBSD-JDK1.4.2
/usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/bin/java # Linux-Sun-JDK1.4.2.10

how come 1.5.0 wasn't selected in the example above please ??

cheers,

martin