Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:18:04 -0800
From:      Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
To:        Derek Taylor <det135@psu.edu>
Cc:        dfr@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with nfsd (due to RPCSEC_GSS changes?)

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 10:08:50AM -0500, Derek Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Navdeep Parhar wrote:
> >Ultimately, I had to add NFS_LEGACYRPC in order to get a working nfsd.
> >Looks like there may be a problem with the new code that was added as
> >part of RPCSEC_GSS support.  Note that I did not enable KGSSAPI in my
> >kernel as I have no need for it.
>
> It sounds like you were bitten by the behavior documented in paragraph
> two of the commit log:
>      The NFS code currently contains support for both the new RPC
>      implementation and the older legacy implementation inherited
>      from the original NFS codebase. The default is to use the new
>      implementation - add the NFS_LEGACYRPC option to fall back to
>      the old code. When I merge this support back to RELENG_7, I
>      will probably change this so that users have to 'opt in' to
>      get the new code.

My reading of the commit log was that the new code would work out of
the box, and that NFS_LEGACYRPC was for unforeseen problems (just like
the one I ran into).  I expected the new RPC implementation to work
without any change to kernel conf or anything else.

I don't feel any expected brokenness was documented in that paragraph.

Regards,
Navdeep