Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Clustering efforts (was Re: Is this list dead?)

On 24-Jul-01 Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Jul 24, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> NFS client locking is "fixed" in -current already.  You can bug Alfred
>> Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.org> about getting a patchset against 4.x to test
>> with and possibly get it MFC'd.  I would do this soon as 4.4. is coming up
>> in
>> late August.
>
> I might shoot off a mail, try and get a patchset sorted out and I can do
> some testing on 3.x, 4.3-RELEASE and maybe even current at a push. Glad to
> hear it's in -current - it will save me some evenings, and I will need it in
> a few weeks for a project I'm working on.

Ok.

>> This is part of the problem.  Everyone has different ideas of clustering.
>> Some
>> people just want load balancing and failover.  Other people want things like
>> distributed lock managers, processes that migrate between machines, virtual
>> memory shared across machines, etc.
>
> OK, so what clustering efforts are currently underway, and what are their
> objectives? The list archives are, like I say, dead, so please feel free to
> shout at me if there is a bunch of documentation out there explaining this
> that I've missed.

There is no docco or anything cluster related in progress that I am aware of.
Earlier efforts to kickstart clustering work usually fizzled out into
discussions of what type of clustering did people really want.  I.e., someone
came in and said "let's do clustering!" and then we had a discussion about what
that meant and it petered out after a while.  Starting with a specific goal
(web, mail, ftp, sql failover and load balancing) is, I think, a good way of
avoiding "running off into the weeds".  Good luck. :)