Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:25:10 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@poboxes.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Have KDE ports been updated to Beta3?

On 1998-02-19 02:23 -0800, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> wrote:

> I notice KDE Beta 3 is now out.  I'd like to give it a try.  Have the KDE
> ports been updated to track Beta 3, and if so, have they been committed
> into ports-current yet?  Do they work?  Please cc me via e-mail if
> possible.  Thanks!

The following ports have been updated to KDE Beta3:

- kdelibs
- kdebase
- kdeutils
- kdegames

Missing:

- kdenetwork (mail and news reader)

I'm working with those Beta3 programs, and they do
work well for me, but I do not use kdm (login) and
klock (screen saver). The latter needs to be SUID
root to access the FreeBSD shadow password file, and
I'd rather not do this at this time, since I'm afraid
of just another invitation to exploit a SUID root
program (TM) ... :)

There have been a few enhancements which had been
submitted by FreeBSD KDE users and which I had put
into the Beta2 port, but I did not have time to
check which of those patches still applies, because
of a severe shortage of spare time.

Regards, STefan