Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 19:12:06 -0500
From:      "Robert M. Luedtke" <rluedtke@freewwweb.com>
To:        FreeBSD-newbies@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   panic: cannot mount root

Hello all,
I have installed 2.2.8 on two different machines and have ended up with the
same problem.  I used V Communications Partition Commander to partition my
hard disk.  I have Win98 installed on the first partition.  I installed
2.2.8 on the second partition on one machine and on the third partition on
another machine.  I tried using System Commander as the boot manager.  I
also tried using dos fdisk to switch between the active partitions to choose
which one to boot (thus not using any boot management software.)  I also
tried using booteasy.  I installed from CDROM and from an MS-DOS directory.
The problem that keeps happening is after I install, I can boot FreeBSD okay
maybe one, two, or three times, but then I get the following error at the
end of a boot sequence:

wd0: cannot find label (I/O error)
wd0s3: cannot find label (I/O error)
panic: cannot mount root

syncing disks... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds.

I have gotten Linux and BeOS to run okay on the second or third partition
and have been able to boot them numerous times.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I really like FreeBSD from a
philosophical view.
Thanks,
Robert