Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2021 09:17:07 +1100
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 13.0-RELEASE-BETA4

On 3/03/2021 6:47 am, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> On 3/2/2021 1:57 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 10:24 PM David Christensen
>> <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

>>> I want a FreeBSD version that "just works", so I use 12.2-RELEASE.
>>> Follow the links to download a suitable installer from here:
>>>
>>>       https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.2R/announce/
>>>

>>> 13.0-BETA4 is still under development.  If you want to help test it,
>>> follow the link provided by LuMiWa and download a suitable installer
>>> from here:
>>>
>>>       https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/
>>>

>>> Burn your chosen installer to media:
>>>
>>>       https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/#bsdinstall-
>>> pre
>>>

>>> Backup the system in question, remove the system drive, install a blank
>>> system drive, and do a fresh install.
>>>

>>> Select the components you want during installation, such as "src" and/or
>>> "ports":
>>>

>>> https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/bsdinstall/#using-bsdinstall
>>>

>>> Once FreeBSD is installed, use freebsd-update(8) to keep FreeBSD up
>>> to date:
>>>

>>> https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/cutting-edge/#updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate
>>>

>>> David
>>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>>> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
>> @all who have replied
>> The new commands to build from source are no longer svn/svn lite
>> we now need to use git.
>>
>> Antonio
> You are incorrect.  I am using svnlite to track base/releng/12.2

For clarity, there is a feed from git to svn for 12, which has a a
slight timing lag.  svn will continue until 12 EOL, so there is time to
transition.  13 and onward will use git as primary.  git is source of
truth, which may be viewed here (You'll note in the top-right switch tab
that I have selected "stable/12").

https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/log/?h=stable/12

This mailing list is also authoritative (again I'm tracking 12 stable
via the branches)
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/dev-commits-src-branches/2021-March/thread.html

Note that this is not a 1-1 mapping of things like
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-stable-12/
as there is now a concept of vendor (aka /usr/src/contrib).  So you'll
need to track those things separately as well, I believe.

As I only use 12, I am unsure if a git pull of stable/12 includes the
vendor changes or not, perhaps someone with experience could enlighten?

For completeness
Unfortunately this appears defunct,
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-stable-12/
though easier to read than searching for /12 in dev-commits-src-...