Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:15:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

Mark Murray writes:

> > For non-US readers, there are sources of encrypting telnet on ftp.funet.fi
> > in /pub/unix/security/telnet/
>
> It is in the non-US secure dist available in
> ftp://skeleton.mikom.csir.co.za/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/<somewhere>;

I've followed this thread right from Jordan's original query about
encrypting the whole session.  Some responses have suggested that you
only need to encrypt the password passing stage.  Jordan was worried
about the password being sniffed during an `su' if I recall correctly.

If you are linking to a remote server from a single user box (ie you and
root are the only entries with shells in the password file) with tcp
wrappers applied at both ends and the server machine having a very
restricted user base as well (five very trusted users), is it safe to
use the `hosts.equiv' mechanism to allow rlogins without passwords?

My (possibly naive) reasoning is that if you are not passing a password
then it can't be sniffed.  I guess I won't be surprised to see someone
highlighting other dangers that this approach causes but as I don't
understand the subtleties of security issues, I thought I'd ask and see
what howls of despair are unleashed :->.

Cheers,
--
Gary Roberts  (gary@wcs.uq.edu.au) (Ph +617 844 0400   Fax +617 844 0444)
4th Floor, South Bank House, 234 Grey St, South Bank  QLD 4101  Australia.