Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:37:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>
To:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound trouble

Hey all - I'm running FreeBSD 3.0-current with an SMP kernel on a Dell
Workstation 400 with two 300Mhz P-II processors and 256megs ram. :-)

The Workstation 400 has a Crystal CSS4236B sound chip on the motherboard.
The only driver I've been able to get sound working with on this
machine/kernel is "Luigi's" plug and play pcm driver.  I couldn't get
the "standard" Voxware drivers to work at all, and the OSS drivers (which
I bought) don't work with SMP kernels (annoyingly enough).

Luigi's sound driver works OK, but I'd like to see a more robust, complete
sound solution for this machine.  When I try to run "timidity" (the
software wavetable midi player which used the GUS patch set), it starts
out sounding nice for about half a second.  Then it starts mixing in an
incredible amount of noise until its completely unbearable to listen to.
Similarly, some games (like xgal) make horrible noises...

I wonder if this could have something to do with SMP?  Other things, such
as xanim, mpg123, and a few others render sound without any trouble.

Does anyone have any suggestions?