Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2009 12:14:31 +0100
From:      Daniel Thiele <dthiele@gmx.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        jylefort@FreeBSD.org, marcus@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   hal does not recognize all USB mice

Hi,

As the subject suggests hal does not recognize all the USB mice
that are connected to my FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE box. I am using an IBM
Ultranav Keyboard which has a build-in TouchPad and a build-in
TrackPoint. Both are being detected by devd as /dev/ums0 and
/dev/ums1, respectively.
hal, on the other hand, only seems to detect /dev/ums0 and fails
to recognize the TrackPoint. If I connect a third USB mouse to this
machine, however, both devd and hal recognize this (third) mouse
as /dev/ums2.

The Problem with the TrackPoint might be related to the way the IBM
Ultranav keyboard make its mice available as USB devices. According
to usbdevs' output (see below) they both share the same vendor and
product ID as well as the same port and address. I am not that fluent in
USB's terminology but I think that only makes them distinguishable as
separate endpoints of the mouse device that provides them? So maybe
the problem lies somewhere in the code that connects hal to devd
and somehow skips devices that, at first sight, seem to be identical.

Maybe there is already a solution that I wasn't able to find? Of
course, I am willing to try any patches and help to further narrow
down the problem. Which, for the time being, is the only issue that
prevents me from using hal together with xorg's auto configuration.

Best regards,

Daniel

Additional information about my machine:

% uname -a
FreeBSD iridium.vnws.lan 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Sun Jul 20
14:05:24 CEST 2008
root@iridium.vnws.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/kernel_70v0  i386

It's pretty old for a STABLE, but I haven't had the time to update
it, recently. If that seems to be part of the problem, I will, of
course, try to find the time to update.

% pkg_info -Ix hal
hal-0.5.11_14       Hardware Abstraction Layer for simplifying device access
hal-info-20080508_1 Additional FDI files to further classify HAL devices

# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
~ port 1 powered
~ port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
~ port 1 powered
~ port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 40 mA, config 1, USB 1.1 2 port
downstream low-power hub(0x3016), Lite-On Tech(0x04b3), rev 2.01
~  port 1 powered
~  port 2 powered
~  port 3 addr 3: low speed, power 70 mA, config 1, IBM USB Keyboard with
UltraNav(0x3018), Lite-On Tech(0x04b3), rev 1.16
~  port 4 addr 4: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, Composite TouchPad /
TrackPoint(0x0009), Synaptics Inc.(0x06cb), rev 0.20
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
~ port 1 powered
~ port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb3:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
~ port 1 powered
~ port 2 powered
~ port 3 powered
~ port 4 powered
~ port 5 powered
~ port 6 powered

The output 'devd -Dd' generates right after I attach the IBM
Ultranav keyboard can be found at:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0023183/FreeBSD/devd

The output of lshal is located at:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0023183/FreeBSD/lshal