Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 00:14:16 +1100
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@satech.net.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Richard Siggs <rich@spirit.com.au>
Subject:   AMAZING IDE Perf increase with 32 Bit IDE tfers and multi-sector I/O

I just read through the LINT file for 3.0-CURRENT again and
its changed a bit... lots of stuff has gone from separate DEFINES to
flags on devices... BCOPY stuff on Pentium Float device (npx) etc.

But the IDE controller now has 32 Bit IDE tfers and multi-sector I/O:

# The flags fields are used to enable the multi-sector I/O and
# the 32BIT I/O modes.  The flags may be used in either the controller
# definition or in the individual disk definitions.  The controller
# definition is supported for the boot configuration stuff.
#
# Each drive has a 16 bit flags value defined:
#       The low 8 bits are the maximum value for the multi-sector I/O,
#       where 0xff defaults to the maximum that the drive can handle.
#       The high bit of the 16 bit flags (0x8000) allows probing for
#       32 bit transfers.

So I've put this in my config file:
controller wdc0 at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff vector
wdintr
controller wdc1 at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags 0x80ff80ff vector
wdintr

to say do 32 Bit I/O and as much multi-sector I/O as the drives can
handle for both my IDE controllers.

And it seems much faster in Netscape Gold 3.01 in particular probably
due to faster system paging mainly ?? and/or better negotiation
between reading and writing at the same time with my swap and home
directory (hence my 2MB Netscape disk cache)

I dont know if 2.1.5 can do it... read LINT... its worth running
current on your main workstation if STABLE cant do it.

I haven't had any serious problems yet...

pitty it doesn't have EIDE mode 4 yet

@ Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au   @ Play: thyerm@satech.net.au
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973